What Is An MWT?
The maintenance of wakefulness test (MWT) is given over the course of a day. It is used to measure how alert you are during the day and if you are able to staying awake for a period of time in a quiet, relaxing environment. This test is used to see how well a sleep disorders patient is able to stay awake after starting treatment, and is also used to help judge whether a patient is too tired to drive or perform other daily tasks.
What to Expect
Your Sleep Technologist will be at our site to greet you when you arrive. After you make yourself comfortable, your Technologist will take a brief history, explain the testing procedure and answer any questions you may have prior to applying the sensors for your study. Applying the sensors is completely painless; it generally takes about 40 minutes to make sure everything is placed correctly.
Once you are fitted with the sensors, you are free to stay in your room where you can relax, catch up on phone calls, or enjoy our high-speed internet and cable TV. You may bring your own pillow and food/snacks. Sleep Insights offers a private, hotel-like environment with wi-fi and cable TV. While you are asleep, your technologist will make every effort to ensure your comfort. You will be monitored remotely--no one will be in your room watching you.
When the study is done, the technologist will wake you and remove all the wires and sensors. You will then be able to take a shower (at certain locations) and be on your way.
Preparing For Your Sleep Test
In order to obtain the most accurate testing, we ask that you take some simple steps to help us prepare for your
study prior to arriving at Sleep Insights:
- Plan to be at our center from approximately 7:00 am until 5:00 pm for daytime testing
- Wash your hair thoroughly but do not use conditioners or other hair products.
- Remove any hair weaves and extensions. We cannot perform testing if you have either of these.
- Bring comfortable, loose-fitting, two-piece clothing to relax and possibly sleep in, since we will be placing sensors on your legs and chest. Once the sensors are applied you will be able to move about, use the restroom or get a drink.
- Bring--and take--all of your normally scheduled medications unless otherwise directed by your doctor or the staff at Sleep Insights.
- Neither smoking nor alcohol is allowed in the building or on the premises at any time.
- Please notify us of any special accommodations prior to your arrival.
- Cancellations must be made by at least 12 noon the day before your study, or if your study is on a Saturday or Sunday, by noon on the Friday before. Failure to show up for your scheduled procedure will result in a $100.00 no-show charge.
Please call our main site at (585) 385-6070, your local site or contact us if you have any questions.